Monday, May 7, 2012

WM 2010--Round of Sixteen (Part I)


Happy weekend syndicate members,
WM 2010

We’ve finally arrived at the knockout stage, where dreams vanish in an instant and extreme emotions…..blah…blah…blah As some elementary arithmetic will tell you, half of our teams are now gone. Let’s wrap up the goodbyes

Send offs



The People’s most Glorious Republic of North Korea’s Authorized Football Team playing for revered dear and young leaders Il (3 games played, 4 Hot Girls)  

Still more recycled material:

“Keep an eye on The East Sea as those joint naval maneuvers are about to begin. Very unhappy times ahead for those above the DMZ. The “Goodbye Lenin Comedy” is still another 5-6 years away.”

There was a quite a good reason why this team has not qualified since 1966. Likewise, there were at least 44 years of excellent reasons why the appearance of this team ultimately amounted to a case of perverse voyeurism. I’ve had my fun with those who bet on North Korea, but I’m willing to admit that fact I’m troubled by some pangs of guilt. To trot these backwards people out on the international stage was always destined to end in embarrassment. I’d travel to Pyongyang to dispense hugs to North Korean girls, if only anyone was allowed in by this paranoid, anachronistic, and merciless regime.


“Les Elephants” of Cote D’Ivoire (3 games played, 26 Hot Girls)  

From Earlier:

“Things couldn’t possibly be worse for African squads and their “blind date” European coaches. As I once warned my African ex-girlfriend, you really have bad taste in men. Sven Goran Eriksson two months before the tournament? You could have gotten someone better off a speed-dating card! Never again, Sven!”

Though it may be hard to comprehend, Cote d’Ivoire came much closer to qualifying today than the score-line reflects. The team had enough quality chances against the hapless vestiges of early 20th Century Marxist thoughts to make this a 7-0 game. That still would not have gotten them through, considering the Brazilian-Portuguese cousins had obviously agreed to treat their match as a chance to get some light jogging in, but I still applaud their skill.

Cote d’Ivoire showcased not only their talent today, but also some great heart. The synchronized dancing of the fans, led by the exquisitely costumed “Papa Elephant” was a priceless display of spirit and grace. In eight short years, Didier Drogba has transformed this war-ravaged and strife-plagued French “fuckup territory” into a unified nation of rabid football fans. One finds oneself hoping Drogba will be back in for a talismanic captain’s role in the 2014 squad. One cause for pessimism will be his age. He will be 36 and likely thinking of life beyond football. Hang in there, Didier J At some point, your country HAS to be fortunate enough to avoid a third straight “Group of Death” draw.

“Die Schweizer Nati” of Switzerland (3 games played, 10 Hot Girls)  

Yes, you read that correctly. The Swiss colloquial word for “wealth” is one letter away from “Nazi”. What a coincidence, as the only reason this country exists is because they’ve been hiding money for shady or outright evil Germans for the last 800 years. Neutrality my ass!! You mean stash money from warring Europeans, never taking a side so as to keep business flowing? We’ve gone ahead and changed the “Swiss National Football Team” Wikipedia Entry to begin:

“The Swiss National Football Team is the most boring team in the world.”

Hurry up and catch that one before they take it down.

I know a three-time-repeat is generally sacrilege, but I’d like to repeat some of my anti-Swiss rants, merely to emphasize how much I hate these racist, useless fucktards:

“Here are the most outrageous butcherings of the marvelous German language by Bruno Ganz in the movie “Vitus”:

5. “Ick habe Ziet” (AHHH! My ears!)
4. “doo bisht Zwölfey” (MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP!)
3. “Ick been gefloh-gen” (No more, please!)
2. “andereshes Saschen Mush doo aufshgieben” (Kill me, kill me now!)
1. “So esh es auf der Schrreize Lande” (Ahhh!!! I swear it wasn’t me. It was Julia. Julia!! Go after her O’Brien! It wasn’t me. Please. Save me. Get me out of Room 101!)

Yechh. Pardon me, as I must commence vomiting.”

““To the racist, bigoted, sheep-shaggers of Switzerland:
  I hate your bizarre little microstate and I hate your team. Clinking your little hillbilly cowbells, butchering the German language, approving xenophobic policies with nearly every referendum, and providing safe haven for every other German official’s taxable earnings. Grrrrr…I’ll get my money back…and some valuable Data CDs as well.”

Lets see if you understand Hochdeutsch, Schweizi : “Verpißt euch havaus! Geh nach Hause so dass ihr eure Kuh noch mal regelmäßig ficken können!”

Okay, that may not have been “High German”, but it was classier than anything that comes out of a Swiss fucker’s mouth. Aufwiedersehen, alpine assholes,….or should I say:

“Euck wirde mick nikt fehlen!!”

The “Big Blue H” of Honduras (3 games played, 16 Hot Girls) 

A bittersweet (or outright miserable) moment for me as I must say goodbye to some people I have great respect for. The Zelaya jokes from last Fall retired, I’d like to give a shout out to all of my Honduran mates. Farewell my old Spanish-town pal Marco, my old girl Loupe, the guys who did my roof, Manuel the Gardner, Taquito the tire man, all the guys on the N.O. cleanup crew, the janitor at my middle school, my former boss Pepe the Poolman, Ramon the part-time adult film star, Concietta the part-time adult film star, Esteban from the drive-thru, Julio from the Restaurant, Mauricio from Valet, Giorge from the take-out pizza parlor, Jose from the bar, and of course Pablo down at the office.

To all the Hondurans working a crappy job, or those who had the misfortune to work a shitty job with me: I salute you! So sad that you had to be this year’s “CONCACAF Doormat.” I also apologize for the way Americans treat you. As someone who has worked an endless sting of shitty jobs, I don’t understand how why we always must be resented. I’d write more about your team, but I have to get back to my current shitty job…….

Uruguay vs. South Korea

 vs. 

This is most likely our farewell for the Koreans. If only I could construct a prop bet on the over/under for the number of sad, hot Korean girls to be observed during this finale. Regrettably, it doesn’t matter how many of us tape all the games. The Final tally is a matter of my subjective tastes L

Before getting too off tangent, I’d like to stress what an exceptionally difficult this decision was. Much to my delight, habitually underachieving Asian teams have consistently overachieved in this tournament. I predicted neither South Korea nor Japan would advance. Yet here they are. After much deliberation, I must set a line in which the clock strikes midnight on the Red Devils. You will find the projected lineups to contain roughly an even amount of talent. The best Uruguayan side assembled in decades simply has more flair. No, my line is not based on Uruguay’s height advantage or the swing radius of any team’s genitalia!!! I love my Red Devils of South Korea and desperately do not want them (or their female fans) to go away. Please get up early on Saturday morning, American fans. This may your last chance to see the “Tigers of Asia” (fan club) for FOUR LONG YEARS!

Projected Lineups:

“Red Devils” 

1) Jung Song Ryong
2) Lee Jung Soo
3) Cho Young-Hjung
4) Lee Young-Pyo
5) Kim Jong-Woo
6) Park Ji Sung
7) Lee Chung Yong
8) Park Chu Yong
9) Yeaom Ki-Hun
10) Kim Nam-Il
11) Cha-Du-Ri

“Olympic Sky Blue” 

1) Fernando Musiera
2) Diego Lugano
3) Mauricio Victorino
4) Maxi Pereira
5) Diego Perez
6) Luis Suarez
7) Alvaro Pereira
8) Egidio Alveraro
9) Alvaro Fernandez
10) Edinson Cavani
11) Diego Forlan

Prop Bets (as always, feel free to offer your own):
Over/Under ---3 Goals
120 Minutes— 2 to 1
Penalty Shootout— 3 to 1
Park Ji-Sung brace –5 to 1
Park Ji-Sung hat trick—10 to 1
Diego Forlan brace – 3 to 1
Controversial Korean Off-Sides –2 to 1
Straight red for Suarez –3 to 1
Musiera Howler (Goalkeeping error) 3 to 1
Lee Jong Soo Yellow Card—2 to 1

THE LINE: Uruguay + 1

Editor’s retroactive notes:
RESULT: Uruguay 2, South Korea 1. The was some hope before the weather gods elected to intervene. Chu Young Park fired the first warning shot, an exquisite curling free kick kept out only by the iron. Nevertheless, the red devils of Asia found themselves behind after only eight minutes. Diego Forlan pulled off a full switch from the left flank that fell perfectly for Luis Suarez to tap in. South Korean coach Hun Jong Moo brought on additional striker in the 60th and eight minutes later his squad reaped the dividends. A Ki Sung Young free kick fell to Lee Chung-Yong after a poor defensive header from Diego Perez. Then came the downpour.

Neither side could execute crisp passing on a drenched pitch in Port Elizabeth. Breaking the deadlock would either require something special or something randomly auspicious. Suarez supplied the former in the 80th, superbly controlling off a Forlan corner, strafing past Lee Jung-Soo and striking a whirling shot from a tough angle just outside the 18. The Taeguk warriors did all they could to restore parity. Substitute striker Lee Dong Gook’s shot may well have ended up the back of the net had the soaked pitch not slowed it down, giving Uruguayan captain Diego Lugano to clear it off the line. Yeom Ki-Hun and Cha Du-Ri also fashioned quality chances out of pure hustle.

At the final whistle, the edged out Koreans lay exasperated on the pitch. Coach Huh Jung-Moo too this day refers to the Celeste goals as “lucky”. With a sour and sarcastic wave of the hand, he dismissed Gook’s misfortune. Spiteful gesture or no, it was the Sky Blue advancing to the next level. No flak for the western spelling of the Jeonbuck Motor’s superstar’s name, please. H calls himself “Gook”. Who am I to disagree?

USA vs. Ghana

 vs. 

No need for me to lecture American fans!! You’ve been past the Round of Sixteen once in my lifetime (2002)! I have a great feeling about tomorrow, but I do wish to pass on some friendly advice: The Knockout Rounds can turn euphoria into tears in a split second. All of the hype and all of the parties you panned can crumble to dust with just one play. Keep this in mind as you plan your soirée. It may amount to nothing more than a bunch of drunks sadly filtering out. Keep this in mind as you prepare your celebration dance. You may be doin the “Blow Chunks and Ask Why”. I declared Day 8 “Heartbreak Hour”. Now “Heartbreak Season” has arrived. Prepare yourself for the worst by giving yourself a “Failure Pep Talk”. Start your day by looking in the mirror and releasing your inner Stuart Smalley. Go through the following speech:

“We might lose today. The World Cup dream could be dead by this evening, Even if we lose, it’s only a game. If I focus on my own life, four years will go by like that! No matter the result today, I’m going to have a good time. I do this because I’m good enough, smart enough, and God dammit….people like me!! LET’S WATCH SOME FOOTBALL!!”

This exhibits some striking similarities to the speech I give to myself before going out on a hot date:

“I might not get laid tonight. I may very well stumble home drunk this evening with a bad case of blue balls. Even if I don’t get laid, I can always come home, jerk off, hit the sack, and get a lot of work done tomorrow. If I focus on my own life, whatever she says is not important.  No matter what she says tonight, I’m going to have a good time. I do this because I’m good enough, smart enough, and God dammit….people like me!! LET’S GO CHECK OUT SOME TAIL!!”

With over a 98% success rate, you can’t go wrong with either of these speeches. Trust me, the ritual works.

All of this being said, I want your team to win tomorrow. I want you to be able to bet on your team and take orgasmic pleasure in not only winning the game, but the line as well. Regrettably, if you’re reading this, it is already too late to accept a one goal line. I’ve taken so many phone calls for the U.S. plus one in the last five hours that I have no choice to push up the line. In the future, please call your bookie earlier if you have the passion. Yes, I know it’s my fault for not getting the lines up two days ago. Not very easy when I have a FULL-TIME JOB!!!

Good luck, Yanks. JJJJJ

Projected Lineups:

“Black Stars” 

1) Richard Kingson
2) Isaac Vorsah
3) John Paintsil
4) Kevin-Prince Boateng
5) Asamoah Gyan
6) Kwadmoh Asamoah
7) Andre Ayew
8) Anthony Annan
9) Sulley Muntari
10) Dominic Adiyiah
11) Prince Tagoe

“Sam’s Army” 

1) Tim Howard
2) Carlos Bocanegra
3) Jonathan Bornstein
4) Steve Cherundulo
5) Jay Demerit
6) Maurice Edu
7) Michael Bradley
8) Clint Dempsey
9) Landon Donovan
10) Michael Findley
11) Jozy Altidore

Side Bets (as always, feel free to offer your own):

Over/under---3 Goals
120 Minutes--- Straight Up
Penalty Shootout---2 to 1
American Goal Disallowed—3 to 1
Controversial Penalty Awarded to Ghana---3 to 1
Ghanaian Straight Red—straight up
Dempsey brace---5 to 1
Donovan goal—2 to 1
Onyewu Substitution 85+--2 to 1
Altidore Hat trick—7 to 1
Prince Boateng Substitution 85+--2 to 1
Prince Boateng straight red—2 to 1
Muntari substitution 90+3 to 1

THE LINE: USA + 2 Goals

Editor’s retroactive notes:
RESULT: Ghana 2, USA 1. (120 a.e.t)  Okay, American enthusiasts. For the third consecutive game in this tournament, you got hosed to a certain extent. Let’s go over it in detail so that you may refresh yourselves as to precisely how you were hard done by. Over Twenty million Americans tuned in to watch this historic match. Chances are you were one of them. We still need to get the facts straight after your cup of knowledge has long since been refilled by NFL Free Agency acquisitions and bong resin.

The Ghanaians played this one ultra-conservatively, deploying a 4-5-1 in hopes of shutting down the surging Donovan and Dempsey. After Gomez’s lukewarm outing, Bradley restored Findley to his place alongside Altidore. He also brought back Ricardo Clark and had Bornstein and Cherundolo swap sides. None of the moves panned out. Before exiting with an injury in the 31st, Ricardo Clark was solely responsible for the first goal after a silly turnover in midfield. Former German bad boy Kevin Prince Boateng latched on to the rookie mistake and dribbled all the way inside the 18, beating Tim Howard for a fifth minute opening goal.

Bradley could seemingly do no right. His substitution of Maurice Edu for the wounded Clark appeared to have been the logical choice. Yet, he might have done better to bring in Beasley, a more experienced natural center midfielder who had played opposite Boateng in the Premiership. He swapped out Findley for Feilhaber at the half, reorganizing into a 5-4-1 that might be more successful exploiting Black Star lateral ability. Again, it was the switch most any of us would have made. Feilhaber had an off game however, twice failing to furnish a decent finish twenty minutes into the restart.

In the interest of being as magnanimous as possible, Kingson had another monster of a game. His two saves of Feilhaber were above average. He also did well to challenge Altidore in the 68th, deny him again in the 72nd, and cut down Michael Bradley in the 76th. The two Mensah also performed their duties clinically, squeezing out Altidore in the 81st and Donovan in the 89th. Mensah also fouled Altidore unabashedly from the back earlier in the match and American football tackled Clint Dempsey in the 61st. A penalty was rightly awarded, which Donovan converted. Normal time ended with the two sides drawn. An additional half hour would be needed to separate the sides.

Running for 120 minutes is unimaginably difficult. Even in my prime, I could manage perhaps 70 on my best day. It is such that teams often stall for time in the overage period, and the match comes down to penalties more often than not. That’s still no excuse for the poor sportsmanship exhibited by the Black Stars after they regained the lead. The dynastic Andre Ayew threaded in a gorgeous ball for Asamoah Gyan in the 93rd. The Rennes striker used a brilliant first touch to leave Bocanegra and Demerit in the dust and beat Howard.

Now comes the part where you MIGHT have been hard done by. Uncle Sam was clearly exhausted and they could manage no almost offensive efforts in the first period of overtime. However, around the 113th they found their second wind and engineered three decent balls forward. The momentum was shifting. In order to interrupt the flow, Rajevac called for the substitution of Inkoom, at that time at the far side of the sideline. Inkoom took his sweet ass time getting off the pitch, even pausing to exchange a few words with his replacement Shelley Muntari. The waltzing gait and faux inspirational address burned almost two minutes. So now then. Could this additional two minutes have made a difference? We’ll never truly know, but the likely answer is no. The U.S. was fatigued and prostrate, out of substitutions and out of ideas. One still never likes to see a team so blatantly milk the clock. It’s cheap and totally unnecessary.

Just like that another U.S. WM campaign came to a close. Two wrongly disallowed goals and a bit of chicanery. Be not bitter if you find it feasible. Robert Greene gave you a bit of luck. Despite the two disallowed goals, you still finished atop your group…atop of your former colonial brethren. You faced the weaker opponent in the Round of 16 and have only yourself to blame for the defensive lapses. Is football inherently equitable? Certainly not. Is life? Whoever the hell you are, you know the answer to that question. You’ll be back. Be full of enthusiasm and not paranoia.